From the back cover:
The Covenant with Black America is a national plan of action to
address the primary concerns of African Americans today.
From health to housing, from crime to criminal justice, from education to
economic parity, African Americans continue to face devastating disparities on
nearly every level. However the time has come for African Americans to shift the
conversation from talking about our pain to talking about our plan.
Did you know that:
- Nearly 20% of African Americans do not have health insurance.
- 1.4 million African American men, or 13%, have currently or permanently
lost their right to vote as a result of a felony conviction.
- More than 8 million African Americans live in poverty.
But did you also know that:
- Parental involvement is still one of the most significant contributors to
the academic success of African American students.
- One in six men will get prostate cancer in his life but if caught early,
the chance of survival is 99.3 percent.
- By 2009, African American buying power is expected to be $965 billion, an
increase of over 203 percent since 1990.
While statistics often remind us of despair, The Covenant reminds us
that there is hope. This document is offered as a roadmap and a reminder that it
is our responsibility as an entire community to ensure that no mother, father,
or child be left behind politically, socially, or economically. We all have a
role in creating the world we want for generations to come.
The Covenant with Black America
edited by Tavis Smiley
Publisher: Third World Press
Publication Date: 2005
Format: Paperback, 254 pages
Book Type: New